Dual Credit courses are for Grade 11 & 12 diploma bound students. As well, Specialist High Skills Majors (SHSM) and Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) students may receive some industry-specific certifications in Dual Credit courses.
As ministry-approved courses, Dual Credits allow students (while they are still in secondary school), to take college or apprenticeship courses that count towards both the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and a postsecondary certificate, diploma, or degree, or an apprenticeship certification.
Students may earn credits towards the OSSD through courses delivered by publicly funded colleges in Ontario that are participating in the ministry-approved dual credit program. Students may earn up to four optional credits through Dual Credit courses.
The Avon Maitland District School Board, in partnership with the following colleges is offering college-delivered dual credit courses:
Students Benefit from Dual Credit courses by:
- earning more high school credit(s)
- earning high school credit(s) AND college credit(s) at the same time in the same course(s)
- experiencing college while still in high school at no cost to the student
- earning in college state-of-the-art facilities
- test-driving career pathways
- exploring different pathway options
- contributes to a smooth and more successful transition from secondary school to college
- trying something new
RegistrationStudents need to:
- Speak with their home-school guidance counselor and be approved by the home-school Student Success Team
- Ensure that they have a flexible timetable to accommodate the dual credit course(s). Enrolling in Cooperative Education is preferred.