Gain the Skills
SHSM students will have the opportunity to gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres and at school.
Focus on a career path that matches your skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
Who is it For?
Grade 11 and 12 students wanting to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
What is SHSM?
A Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) provides students with an opportunity to focus their learning and gain valuable experience for all post-secondary opportunities.
The SHSM program has a number of required components, designed to give students a “leg-up” to pursue post-secondary opportunities in a variety of employment sectors. Students will also gain valuable experience and industry recognized certifications, which increase confidence in their ability to succeed and see the connections between their studies, the world beyond high school and future careers.
How Will SHSM Help Me?
Pursuing an SHSM designation enables students to:
- Test-drive career options
- Focus their learning by taking courses designed to suit their interests and talents while meeting the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- Develop essential skills and work habits required in the workplace
- Experience hands-on learning
- Gain valuable work experience that will help build a resume for postsecondary programs and future employment
- Earn industry recognized certifications related to the chosen employment sector
- Take advantage of “reach ahead” opportunities which could include visits to sector-related industries, businesses, training facilities, skills competitions, colleges, universities and dual credit programs.